Friday 30 September 2011

Why a Mustang?

With a typical teenager's view of life, my son asked "what's the big deal about a Mustang?".  And in a typical parental response I rolled my eyes, shook my head and mumbled something about spending too much time on the Xbox.

But... it's an interesting question. Why is it that almost everyone can immediately identify a Mustang? What makes it so special?

Well... look at it...


That is a classy car. The swept back headlamps and simulated brake scoops just make it. At the risk of sounding like an old fart, they just don't design cars like that anymore.  For example...


Sure... nice looking car, but nothing stands out. How about this one?
Again, nice car... but looks a lot like the other car (a Ford looking like a Holden?). And how about this?


Another nice car, but a bit like the others. And this is the new Ford Mustang!!!

And look at this...


WTF is that??? Did someone actually think that was a good idea? It's bad enough that this monstrosity was a conscious design decision, but there are people that actually buy these things. I don't know, maybe they're confusing the shocked looks on people's faces with envy. Go figure...

Sigh... it could be I'm just getting old. But I'll bet you a cup of coffee, you put all these cars in a parking lot and people will gather around the classic Mustang.



The design was way ahead of its time and more than worthy of the numerous design awards. They had a massive influence on the future directions of the automotive industry and have proven to be a timeless classic.

And now I actually own a piece of automotive history. Someone pinch me...

No comments:

Post a Comment