Tuesday 11 October 2011

The new and improved "Cunning Plan"


Well, after a couple weeks poking around under the car I finally have a clear plan of attack in restoring the old girl.  And as expected, that plan bears no resemblance whatsoever to what I had in mind when I first got the car.

Remember, boys and girls, the initial objective is to get her on the road, I just have a few more steps now to get her there.

The first cab off the rank is to fix up the engine bay. As mentioned in previous posts, the extra large, giant radiator has got to go, all the cables, hoses and battery put back to where they belong, repair the body rails and install the new repro radiator.  After that, the bay should be much tidier... and legal.

Next is to rip out the interior, seats, carpet and dash. There are 2 reasons for doing this; 1) I want to check the floor pans for any bad rust and 2) I'll need everything out of the way for the "Big Job".

The "Big Job" is installing the new wiring harness.  While the process itself doesn't look overly complex, there is a fair amount of planning required before I start ripping out the old harness.  I have the 66 wiring diagrams and I'll need to work out what wires will go in which cable assembly. That'll be fun.

After that will be the interior... at the bare minimum I will restore the dash and paint it white while everything is out of the way.  I'll have to weld in a new radio plate as the holes were buggered up sometime in the past for an after market stereo system.  Appears to be such a common problem that they actually make a plate just for the radio assembly.

So stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment