Friday 7 October 2011

You Can't Wear Electric Shorts

Electric shorts... get it?  lol... I crack myself up...

Anyway, as Homer would say...


I seem to have hit my first unexpected problem with the car.

It would appear that something is amiss with the dash wiring.  A large knot of wires and electrical tape are all that remain of what was once the fusebox.  Of the box itself, there is no sign.  A few lonely holes in the firewall mark what must have been it's final resting place.

Who would do such an evil thing?  Are fuses overly expensive in America?  Was it too hard to work out which way the things went in?

I can only guess that over the years various electronic and kitchen appliances had been installed in the car and when they were removed, a small piece of the wiring harness went with them.  Then someone eventually discovered that there were no longer any wires going to that funny little box with the glass tubes in it.

Mind you, all the wiring is now direct connect... I pity the poor bugger that's sitting in the car when the courtesy lamp shorts out.  The resulting surge of power will likely fry the remaining cables, ignite the vinyl interior and irradiate the driver in a fashion to rival Chernobyl.



Unfortunately, that poor bugger is now likely to be me and while I don't intend to have any more kids, I would like to avoid irradiating myself if at all possible.  And surviving a car fire is also fairly low on the bucket list...

So, I need to retreat to my Thoughtful Spot and think up a new cunning plan...

No comments:

Post a Comment