Wednesday 19 October 2011

Tackling the engine bay

Yeah, way too much time on my hands...

Ok... interior is too expensive at this stage of the game, so I'm going to focus on the quick win stuff that shouldn't cost too much. But remember I did say that about the interior. Sigh...

Anyway, I gotta toss the over-sized, giant, mega radiator and put in our new 1966 repro. This will allow me to put everything back where it belongs and basically tidy up the engine bay.

So I drain the water, disconnect the hoses, remove a couple of bolts and tada... out she comes.  Now I've been told a billion times I exaggerate too much, but check this out.



The radiator on the left is what should be in there. Ok... maybe I exaggerated a little, it's not quite twice the size.  Well, excuuuuuuuuse meeeeee.....

Unfortunately, they had to alter the engine bay a bit to fit that monstrosity in, here's the result.



Nice....  so looks like I've got a bit of patching to do.  You notice the plate of scrap metal sitting on top of the platform in the 2nd photo?  That's what's left of the old battery tray.  Why unbolt it when you can slice it off and hammer it back out of the way?

Oh, did I mention the custom battery tray they replaced it with?


That is a piece of plywood held up by two shelf brackets... I kid you not.  You can see some rust bubbling up above the tray (battery acid), so that's going to have to be cleaned up.

Anyway, talking to the experts at Caloundra Brake and Clutch, it would be much easier to do all these renovations if the engine was not in the way.  So although redoing the engine bay was low on the to-do list, I've gone this far so I might as well bite the bullet and just get it out of the way...

So stay tuned for our next exciting episode when I attempt to dismantle the engine.  What could go wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment