Thursday 13 October 2011

Stripping the interior

Well, I guess this means I've officially started the restoration now.  I've decided to start ripping out the interior to get a look at the floor pans and prepare for the rewiring exercise.

So I jacked up the car and removed the seats by unbolting from underneath. Not much of the seat cushions left, the foam has almost completely disintegrated.


There will be some repair work to fix up the springs and frame, but if I can get the individual bits and pieces (e.g. - springs) hopefully I can reuse the frames.

Ripping up the carpet, found there is an underlay underneath and a couple layers of cardboard beneath that.   But a pleasant surprise under the cardboard... the front floor pans are actually not too bad... a bit of rust, but most of it on the surface. A big sand back should hopefully fix them up no worries.



You can see that whoever put in the carpet used lots of glue, so a lot of crap is stuck to the floor that will take some elbow grease to remove.

The bad news is there's some half-serious rust in the rear passenger floor pans. Here's a close up view of the worst spot... you can see it's started to crack, so may need replacement.


I know, shock and horror... a Mustang with rust in the floor pans...  I'm just surprised only because it can't be seen from underneath.  After I get it cleaned up and sanded back to bare metal, I'll have a better idea of what it will take to fix.

So overall it's not too bad. After all, it could be a lot worse...



No comments:

Post a Comment