Sunday 16 October 2011

Stripping the Interior -- Part II

I think I mentioned that there is a bitumen-like substance that has been painted over the metal of the car interior.  It was painted onto the metal, then covered with corrugated cardboard (WTF?).  Which is why I'm having to chip away at this crap with a paint scraper to get the embedded cardboard (and dirt, carpet fibres, insects, etc) off so I can protect it.


I assumed this stuff was a rust-preventative or something like that, which is why I was happy to see it coating the surface of the front seat pans. Unfortunately, it's not all that crash hot at preventing rust, although it did an excellent job of protecting the rust that was underneath it.

While not as bad as the back pans, it's still fairly thin in places.  I haven't taken a grinder to it yet, but I'm sure when I do some of those thin places will magically transform themselves into holes (nothing up my sleeve).


So looks like I might have to just bite the bullet and get the entire back and front pans done on both sides and be done with it. Unfortunately, this will triple the costs and blow out the meagre pre-Xmas budget, so I'm gonna have to put the floor on hold for a little while and turn my attention to other things.

It's not like there's nothing else needs doing...

No comments:

Post a Comment