Saturday 15 October 2011

Yet Another Cunning Plan


Not that there was anything wrong with the last couple of cunning plans...  I just need to tweak things a little to account for the latest exciting surprise... rust.

The first step is going to be to get everything out of the interior. Seats and carpet are already gone, but as you saw last time, I need to find something like a Tactical Particle Accelerator to strip out the years of crap that hide the floor... ok, maybe a wire brush on the end of a drill might work. I don't know, I'm making this up as I go along.

Once I can actually see the floor, I'll need to grind back the rusty bits to give me a better view of the structural integrity... or lack of therein. At the minimum, I know I'll need floor pans for the rear. My fear is that the surface rust in the front pans is hiding something more serious underneath.

I know all you seasoned restoration gurus from the forums are right now laughing and slapping each other on the back, saying "remember how we told that newbie it was easy to change floor pans?  He actually believed us.... ha-ha-ha...".


Yeah... I'm onto you...

That's as far as my cunning plan goes for now. If it all goes well and I don't discover something like the firewall missing, I'll tackle the metalwork on the rest of the interior. From the size of the holes in the dash and doors, I'm convinced the previous owner had installed a plasma TV with surround sound rather than a stereo.

Stop sniggering, you lot...

No comments:

Post a Comment